Sunday, April 26, 2015

Back to gardening!

Well, yesterday, God sent us a reminder of why it will be nice to NOT have so many cows...

In the morning, we had to get 2 cows in the barn. The 1 had a calf who still isn't doing very well. The other, we pulled her baby, and they're doing fine now.  Then, in the afternoon, a neighbor called to inform us that most of our herd had broke out of the fence and was in our field, eating alfalfa. So much for a restful day. :)

 I took this picture of Jacob and his ol' pal, Phyllis. I imagine he'll miss her a bit when she's gone, as he raised her up from a little calf (bottle fed her) and has kept her gentle over the years. She's pretty old already.
 I tagged my bull calf (the one we pulled) before letting him out of the barn to be with his mama who was already out eating silage and hay.
 I went across the road to get a picture of the spot where the house will sit. You can see the stakes/string. It doesn't look like much, yet, but give it another month and a few days.... :)
 My mom and I were so happy that Dad and Jacob took time to spread some "Joy" (manure) on the garden...
 ...and they worked it up: Dad with some kind of a digger and then Andrew went over it again with his tiller that he put new blades on. It made the soil so fluffy!
 Doesn't it look nice?  It was hard to get myself to walk on it, as it looked so perfect.
 Andrew and a Lady...
 My mom and I planted herbs and beans and I planted zucchini and cucumbers, just so we could say we started. :) It felt so good to be out digging in the garden once again. Now it's time to pray earnestly for rain.
 While the guys were doing the garden work, I made more SOAP! Yes, I did. :) 
There is a craft-fair coming up on Sunday in Braddock that I have a table reserved at to try to sell some of my work, so hopefully that goes well.

And those were the highlights of the last 2 days.

Have a great week, everyone----doing whatever work God has for you to do.

2 comments:

  1. Ya'll have been busy! And troubles with the cattle boy! ;) Of course they're gonna be missed, how long have ya'll ranched cattle? Mmm, the smell of fresh dirt tis so nice! ;) And "fluffy soil" is a new one to me, hehe.....glad to see you got some stuff planted! It would be very nice to get a rain shower! ;) I helped my Dad plant 50 strawberry plants today! Now I am in charge of watering them everyday! I hope they produce well next year! We also planted some raspberry plants too! Excited to see what God will do, Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let me see.... My folks had cows all their growing up years (stock and/or dairy). Then we moved to the city for a while. I was 9 or 10 when we started buying bottle calves to raise, and that was the start of my brother's and my cattle experience, so it's been about 18 years! You should see the fluffy soil! It really is light and just puffed up. :) Oh yum, I love strawberries and raspberries too. I hope yours do very well.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.