Friday, April 24, 2015

Big change...



Well, it is time for some big changes in our lives...

We had the chance to purchase the big pasture from the hunter guys (Gaylin and them), but when it came down to figuring out how many years it would take to pay it off, with not being able to expand our herd, but just maintaining it, well, it just didn't make any sense to go into huge debt for that (it sold for over $800,000). Yesterday was the auction, and a local rancher purchased the pasture and will be running his own cattle on the land. This means that, yes, we will be selling our herd!!!  If there weren't so many other things happening in our lives at the moment, this change would seem very sad. As it is, I think it's for the best and I'm confident that God knows what is best for us at this time (we've all been praying about this decision for quite a while already) and it's pretty obvious what we need to do. We'll probably always keep a couple cows around for beef/milk, but it won't be anything like it is now.  I'll miss some parts of having cattle.  

The pasture land around the farm will mostly be broke up for farming (lots more rocks to pick). The cattle-working and haying equipment can be sold now.... 

We're discussing now WHEN and how to sell the cattle. They're already starting to calve, and we have 2 babies. It would be easier to sell them before they calve, but we'll see.  


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This morning, Dad had Magrum's from Hazelton come pump the sewer across the road, and here, and Andrew had him do his up at his place too, as long as the truck was here.  While they were doing that, I drove Mom up to the farm where we're buying milk now (until Sally calves) and she showed me how to get the milk from the bulk tank, in case I ever need to do it. We dropped off some eggs for the neighbors too.

This afternoon, Dad and Andrew did some measuring and staked off where the new house will sit. :)
That change is exciting!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow, I'll have another interesting thing to share, something about Appleseeds....


3 comments:

  1. My goodness Cora! That is some big news! wow! I hope things go well for you and all works out to the Lord plans! :) How excited too about the new home, i remember watching while my Dad and Jay (the contractor) marked/staked off the plot for our new home! exciting, exciting! :)
    And I am looking forward to the Appleseed news too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a big change! I'm sure it will go well though and it is a really good time to sell cattle! A new house too?! I'm excited for your family but will miss the cattle posts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we'll miss the cows....but God has a plan. We just pulled a calf this morning and dealt with another cow who had a baby and wasn't getting it going, so maybe we won't miss that part so much. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.