Friday, December 12, 2014

Workin' calves...

Whew, that was a long day, but a good one!
 
Sorting the cows off this morning:
 
 Lots of work ahead:
 Andrew was, as usual, our headgate/squeeze chute operator. Just one got away and that was because of a mechanical failure with the gate.
 Part of Jacob's and my job was getting the calves in the alley way of the tub (2 could fit in there if they cooperated). Some were prrriiity stubborn.
 Dad bought this STUR-D tub at the ORR auction this summer, and it was SO helpful to have!!! Saved a lot of work (not having to run back and forth in the alleyway to bring up calves) and was safer too, plus it was just easier to work with.
 Jacob poured the calves...
 Talkin' about somethin'...
 How do you like this picture of my dad and Andrew? ;)
 Another one done...
 My dad did all of the banding so I didn't get too many pictures of him in action, because he was in a not very visible place a lot of the time...
 My mom was working on the west side of the chute, giving shots and handing my dad things...
 
I was on this side with Jacob, keeping records and giving one of the shots...
 
 When they were through the chute, the calves waited in the far corner of the pen.
Many of them didn't wait very quietly! It was such a lovely day, weatherwise.
 Looking in the chute...
 This is the only picture I have of me in action today....tagging a calf that was born up in pasture, so it didn't have a tag yet.  There were a few of those and then also a couple who lost their tags somehow.
 The corner is getting full!
Getting close to done...
 
 
Thank you to those of you who prayed for safety! Your prayers were answered favorably. :)
It is SUCH a good feeling to have that job over-with for another year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.