Wednesday, October 8, 2014

"Autumnal sunshine"

 

“I cannot endure to waste anything so precious as

Autumnal sunshine by staying in the house."

[Notebook, Oct. 10, 1842]”
― Nathaniel Hawthorne

 
This quote is so perfect for today! It was a beautiful afternoon and I spent most of it in the garden, pulling off the squishy squash vines; the brown tomato plants; and the wilting pepper plants.
 
I dug a boxful of carrots (and ate a few little ones that were just too tempting).
 
My mom picked several dry dill heads for dill seed. She filled the wheelbarrow with chicken treats.
 
Jacob helped me clear off the tires that we put around our tomato plants each year. I began tilling the bare spots in the garden, until I ran out of gas and found out we have none on the farm at this time.
 
My dad hauled hay home.
 
Andrew worked some more on the combine he's fixing for a farmer.
 
Jacob took some haying equipment over to our hunter friends' place where the guys will be putting up some grass hay soon.
 
Millie and Lady were kept busy digging for things in the garden. Gingersnap (the kitten that just showed up at our place at our last Appleseed event) kept me company in the garden as well.
 
Yes, it was a beautiful day!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yes it was a truly beautiful Autumnal day! Thanks for all that you did to clear off the garden! You are just the perfect gardening partner!!!
    Lots of love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.