Friday, August 2, 2013

I made fruit-cake for the first time ever...

Sarena asked me to make the fruit-cake for the top layer of their cake as it's a tradition in their family, so I wanted to try the recipe early in case I had to find another one.  The guys warily tried it (my dad has had some pretty dry, hard, and generally nasty fruit cakes in his lifetime) and they all declared it edible and not too bad.  ;)  They didn't ask me to make it again though.  I think it's mostly that they're not fond of nuts and fruit in cake....so it only makes sense that they wouldn't like a dense fruit-nut cake.    This is close to what my cake looked like:

I did some on-line research about fruit-cakes actually and found out that most of them are made a long time before an event and then wrapped in a brandy or rum soaked cloth which is resoaked every week or two and rewrapped around the cake.  One website told how some people think the best fruit-cakes are ones that have been soaking for 3 YEARS!   Ugggg.   I decided to wrap my fruit-cakes in plastic wrap and then tin-foil, then tucked them safely in the refrigerator.  You know, they really could be used as door-stops.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, that's neat! :D Congrats that it turned out so well! My dad will eat fruitcake but I don't make it and the rest of the family won't eat it either. I like nuts, and fruit, just not the kinds they include in fruitcake. ;) Haha, I've heard the pouring brandy thing over it too...yikes, is all I have to say about that! :)

    Aww, I really wish I had the lyrics for you...the kids in our homeschool choir sang a most hilarious fruitcake song one year at Christmas - it was everyone's favorite. It basically answers the line "What in the world am I gonna do with a fruitcake?", and then goes into all the things you could use it for. There was even a line almost like the one above about it's use as a doorstop. ;) Lol.

    I can't wait to see the final completion of this marvelous masterpiece you are working on! It's going to be absolutely stunning, I'm sure! :D When is the wedding?

    Blessings, Love, and Prayers, sweet friend!
    ~Rachel~

    {And as you can see, I'm trying really hard to leave you nice little comments and say hi these day. I like it. Think I'll keep it up. :) <3}

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.