Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Werner the Second...

Years ago, we had a very late calf be born when there was snow on the ground and the temperature was very much freezing.  We named that calf "Werner", as we said to him, "You Wern-er 'sposed to be born yet!"  Well, as of this morning, Andrew now has a calf we can call "Werner the Second".   Thankfully, while my dad was feeding the cows this morning over by the trees, he noticed a cow walking over from the way of the south pole-barn.  After looking at the cow closer, it seemed that she had just calved, so he went in search of the baby.  There was nothing in the barn, so he looked in the old school-bus shelter when driving  by and, sure enough, there was a little freezing cold calf in there!  The guys got the little fella in the barn and put heat-lamps on him, then force-fed him some colostrum.  They later got the cow in too.  Tonight, Werner stood up and Dad and Andrew helped him find his mama, then he drank.  :)   Hopefully he'll do well now! 

(This isn't quite how the calf was rescued, but I like this picture!)


My dad spent a good part of the day cleaning out one of the pole-barns with the 9030.  Mom and Jacob worked on schoolwork.  She and I also folded all of the laundry we were able to wash/dry last night when we had the extra water pressure in the house.  Andrew and I worked in the basement again and all that's left now is vacuuming with the shop-vac, once they get a new filter for that.....    I don't know how that basement gets to be such a disaster by this time every year, but it does.  We like to play Foosball/air hockey down there in the winter, so it was time to get it tidied up somewhat again.  To celebrate being almost done, Andrew and I played a game of Foosball and we realized how out of practice we are again!

It was also bread-baking day.  The menfolk in the house said they prefer our usual bread recipe to the Bread-For-Life bread, but my mom and I appreciate that the BFL bread is healthier and fits with the diet changes we've made in the last year, SO I baked 2 kinds of bread today----6 loaves of regular and 4 of BFL.  That should last us a while! 

And yes, I made cookies.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.