Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Braddock's 40th Annual Threshing Bee!

The weekend event started out with a tractor-trek from Kintyre to Braddock
(which took about an hour to travel, Andrew said)...
 
 Andrew drove my dad's JD "A" tractor (with the "Luxury" seat)...  ;)
 Our friend, Paul F...
 Our neighbor/friend, Gary....
 ....and his brave and loyal wife, Kristi!  :)
 Out at the threshing grounds, there is a little town set up with lots of interesting things to look at inside of the buildings...
 Our friend, Emmy and her brothers came to visit (and brought us chickens we'd ordered that Emmy had raised and had butchered).  Peter and Joshua stayed home and picked up apples; drove 4-wheelers and dirt bikes; and played on the computers with Jacob, but Emmy came with my parents, Andrew and I to Braddock and took LOTS of pictures!!  So, thanks to her, I have MANY photos to share here and it actually took a while to look through them all and decide which ones to post. 
I think this was Emmy's favorite tractor (there were several pictures of it!):
 Waiting for the tractor parade to begin...
 And it has begun!
 
 Our neighbor, Alan and 2 of his sons...
 Andrew, driving one of Alan's tractors through the parade...
Must have been a dusty job in the olden days...
 Can you imagine driving this through a small farmyard? 
Could be hard to turn around in some places!
 Just for fun?
 See his comfy seat?? He got teased a bit about that, but he didn't seem to mind.
 Zach (Paula's husband, Johanna and Tracy Jo's daddy)...
Andrew was in the tractor-trek, which started at 11:00, and he went from Kintyre to the threshing grounds and then drove tractors through the parade, so we took him some lunch so he could eat at least a little something before the rest of the fun began.
In the print shop...

 Awwww, it's so cute!
 Finally got Emmy on the other side of the camera!
(She's a very faithful Appleseed promoter in MN, by the way).  :)
 Pretending to drive the tractor...
 My dad and our friend, Paul (both on the right)... 
That's wire that's being used to tie the bales together.

The rock crusher...
 Trying to figure out what this porcupine machine is???
 Zach and some volunteers ran the big saw....

 Some of the tractors!
 The threshing machine!
 The old silage-makin' machine.  Yep, it smelled good!
 My tall brother can just barely touch the top of that wheel!
 The teacher...
Emmy and I---and the wheel...

 The weather was just perfect and the sky, lovely!  The machine in the middle there is the corn-husking machine that my dad and Andrew helped run that day...
Here's another square baler...  ;)


Another neat old tractor (that looks halfways like a train engine)...

 This picture was taken at home, not at the threshing bee, but is such a cute one of my friend,
 that I just wanted to throw it in here someplace...
 Johanna and Tracy Jo's grandma called my name from her vehicle where they all were sitting.  SO, I got to see "my" girls.  :)  (Tracy was up front with her grandparents, but Johanna posed with me...)
 Waiting for the train at the old station... 
It was a long wait, and we finally gave it up and decided to walk to our next destination!
Emmy and her brothers left late Saturday afternoon for their home in MN.
(It was really great having you all here!!) 
 
The next day (Sunday), my brothers helped out at the threshing grounds (running the corn-husker again), and my parents went up to Mandan to help my grandparents celebrate their 61st wedding anniversary.  I went to Braddock to help Paula in the community center kitchen there for a few hours, as she was in charge of the soup and kuchen meal.  She was one busy lady!!
 
I hope this post encourages some more of you to join us at the threshing bee next year! :)


2 comments:

  1. OH...CORA!!!!! This post is sooooo neat!!!! :) Thank you for sharing these pictures and even getting the "such a cute one of my friend"....I liked how that picture turned out actually! :) The threshing bee was lots of fun and I had an awesome time with ya'll! My brothers also enjoyed Jacob's company, picking apples, riding four-wheeler and dirtbikes and yes the computer part. We are thinking that it might be a neat idea to make a trip once a year to your place while the threshing bee in Braddock is going on! Oh, yes and I found this little post you made 2 years ago...Does it bring back any memories? :)
    http://maidenhouseofgod.blogspot.com/2012/09/threshing-bee-pictures-from-saturday.html
    Thank you dear sister for your kindness and friendship, I am so glad I met you! Your a blessing! Thankful tonight, Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it, Emmy (aka, little sister!). :) As I said, we enjoyed having you and your brothers here!! That would be GREAT to have you come again next year, and hopefully we can talk all of our brothers into attending. ;)
    Yes, I have many fond memories of the Braddock Threshing Bee!
    Thank you for your friendship and prayers and encouragement as well.
    God bless!
    Cora
    PS. I made a slight edit to the part where I talked about what our brothers did, as I didn't know part of it and had forgotten the other part.... So thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.