Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2 dead critters...

The fact that the one is dead, we are all grateful for.  The other, not so much.  Sometimes it is harder than others to count your blessings in a day....

My dad informed me that one of my cows was found dead this morning.  She apparently slept down in a hole they'd all dug for some reason and she couldn't get back up, so died there, struggling.  :(  You feel so bad about loosing them that way!  This is the 2nd time this has happened this Winter (it's been my cows both times too).  What, are they too rolly polly or something?

The other critter was a skunk that fumigated the milking barn overnight.  Phewwy!  My dad saw it lumbering across the south cornfield this morning, so Andrew grabbed a rifle and went out to do it in.  Unfortunately, the gun jammed, so Andrew had to come back to the farmyard for another one.  This time, my dad grabbed another rifle and joined Andrew on the stinky beast hunt.  The skunk had found the feed-corn pile and, no matter how many snowballs D & A threw at him, he just wouldn't go away and then started heading towards my dad and brother, so they shot him dead there on the spot.  More stink!

The rest of the day was more pleasant.  I did some ironing for this weekend and my mom went through cupboards/cabinets/boxes and got together several things to donate while in town tomorrow.  Jacob's snowmobile parts arrived after lunch, so the boys worked on that this afternoon.  My dad went to two towns (Napoleon and Hazelton), or "The Twin Cities", as Jacob calls them.  He payed our land rent and visited with Fern for most of the afternoon.  I added a bunch of pictures to our newsletter and am glad to report that it is almost done (I believe I've said that before though)....

And now, it is time to get some sleep before another busy day dawns.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.