Monday, November 25, 2013

The cows are home, off the range...

It was a blustery day and the cows were very ready to come home!  Thankfully, all went well.
 
 That's Jacob on his dirt-bike...
 Mom in the black pickup (we ladies got to drive pickups and stay warm! :) )...
 "Yippy ti yi yo, get along little doggies..."
 My dad...
 Once we got them all rounded up in the pastures, moving the whole herd down the road went pretty well.  I got my usual job of swerving side to side in front of the herd, trying to hold them back a little bit so they didn't string out for miles.  This cow (mine) was very stubborn and kept sneaking by in the ditch, where I couldn't really drive without loosing the rest of the herd.  Andrew came up front and helped me when he wasn't needed on the sidelines.  :)
 My "Followers"...
 You can see Andrew on his dirt-bike in this picture, if you look closely...
 Home again, home again!   Andrew helped my dad feed the cows some hay (they used both loader tractors), then played with Millie and Lady for a while until my dad was done...

 It was late in the afternoon already by this time, so Dad decided to wait with the sorting and just let the cows settle down after their approx. 4 mile walk.
All is surprisingly still now, so the cattle must be content.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad your cattle moving went safely. It can be dangerous and we're always glad to have the cattle home for the winter as well.

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.