Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Babies--and 'sitting...

Thankfully, there haven't been tons of cows calving in this cold, snowy spell!  Last night we had 2 calves in the kitchen, but they're doing well now.  

Yesterday I babysat Johanna and Tracy Jo until suppertime, then helped get cows/calves in the barn.  It's a blessing to have a couple of barns with different sections in each....  We ate a late supper last night!  This morning, we had to get the kitchen calves back with their mamas and made sure they nursed.  We now have a bottle calf too (or a spiker calf if needed) as one of my cows who isn't doing very well (has hip issues) surprised us all by having a healthy calf yesterday morning.  She's not in any shape to raise a calf though, so it will be our new bottle-baby. 

At 1:00, I drove into Napoleon and picked up our neighbor children (the 3 I stayed with for a week last month) from preschool.  We went to the post office to mail a package for my dad, and we also bought a case of powdered colostrum at the elevator, as we're going through it faster than we'd hoped with all the calving problems.  Thankfully, we haven't lost any babies in the last few days! 

Now I'll be staying with these children until tomorrow night when their mom gets back from visiting a dear childhood friend/working.  Their dad is away for job-training, so it's just the 4 of us again.  They just finished their bath and want to get back to playing tinker toys, so I'd best post this and get back to play.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.