Saturday, April 13, 2013

I can't imagine doing it alone!

Calving, that is.  We have enough people here to make it bearable (all the nightly checks) and to make tagging/cow chasing bearable and doable.  I just can't imagine how some people do it by themselves.    We tagged a lot of calves this afternoon and had quite the rodeo with some that were a couple days old already!  Our total # of cows that have calved now is right at 70 and, as of now, the death toll (not counting an early miscarriage) is 3.   That's a blessing, considering all of the extra troubles we've had this Spring so far....   Now another storm is blowing in.  It's cold and very windy and miserable out there if you're a newborn (and even if you're a full grown animal).   We're praying for no new babies tonight.  We had to get one cow and her several-days old calf in the calving pen this afternoon as the baby just looked droopy and we're not sure it's been getting enough milk.  The cow's udder was very full, so Andrew milked off about 6 cups worth and I tube-fed the calf the milk to get it going again.  It didn't seem interested in nursing on it's mommy.  Not sure what's going on there?

SO, please rest well dear people reading this.   I hope we'll be able to join you all for a peaceful nights rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.