Thursday, April 11, 2013

Please pray for Lydia and the Drs. tomorrow!

Lydia is the sister of Hannah K. @ the "Glory and Grace" blog: http://www.gloryandgrace-hannah.blogspot.com/.  She will be having brain surgery tomorrow morning (around 8am) to remove a tumor.  Please join us in praying for the whole K. family!!!!

Please pray too for all of the ranchers who are calving in this snowy, blustery weather.  My dad just came in from checking again and said there were 2 new calves since the last check.  He'll be going out again in about an hour to recheck on them before heading for bed.    I think there were 3 or 4 new calves earlier today too.  So far, none have needed to come in the house (we just had to get one pair in the barn).  Andrew started singing a very appropriate song for this day while we were in the barn (he was milking and I was feeding my cute little bottle-calf).  It is a song that my dear friend, Dorena's older sister wrote years ago and the two of them sang it on their CD.  Part of it goes like this:

"There's a cold North/West wind blowing at my back.  My sittin' bones are weary on the saddle where I've sat.  The herd is movin' slow...  Newborns at their side.  We've gotta get the (beasts, I think is the word here?) in, there's a blizzard on the rise....

(chorus)  It's April Fools in Dakota...  This morning who'd have known, with all the prairie singin' 'cause the meadowlark was home.  That sunny song of Spring can turn to snowflakes on the run.  Now the clouds are rollin' in.  Windchill's minus 1.

I heard a robin yesterday.  I wonder where he's gone?  I hope he'll find some shelter while the Winter has it's fun.  6 weeks ago was balmy.  Valentine's day was clear.  If Springtime's a prairie's lover, I wish he weren't so insincere....

Only 40 fence posts left 'til I reach that sheltered draw.  I can smell the wood-smoke burnin'.  Mama keep it fired up hot!  There's 10 endangered species on the ends of my two feet.  It's cold and I ain't funnin'.  No, I guess the fool is me!....



My dad and Andrew went over to a friend's place in Ellendale and loaded up the truck they'd bought from the friend's neighbor while Andrew was down there cleaning grain.  They had to take it easy coming home because the roads were not very pleasant.  My mom went to Bismarck to see clients all day and she also had a long drive home, due to not-so-nice driving conditions.  Jacob and I stayed home.  I made yogurt again; did a bunch of dishes that needed doing; restarted the water and milk kefir; baked chocolate chip cookies; made lunch and supper.....   Jacob did most of the cow checking.

Oh, I do have something I'm very glad to report tonight!  My cow finally decided to adopt the spiker calf, so we no longer need to get the cow in the head-gate in order to feed the calf!  Praise the Lord and alleluia!!!  :)



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.