Friday, April 5, 2013

The joys and woes of calving....

The joy of this time of year is watching the little calves bound across the pasture, tail straight up in the air like a flag.  Even in the wind today, they had some good romping fun.

The woes part is when you lose one of those little ones.  I lost one calf today, as it's heifer mother had it right in a very muddy/manure spot and it got cold and icky and the mama didn't lick it off.  Until we found it, it wasn't off to the best start.   We got it in a barn and I washed it off for a long time, then later brought it in the house to warm up, but she was just too cold or weak or something and she died.   

We had to get another of my cows in the calving pen this morning and pull her calf, as it was very large and she was having trouble.  Then, she didn't want to have anything to do with the calf for a while, but after I sprinkled some "Oh No Mo" on it, she licked it a bit and later let it nurse, so I think they'll be alright now.  

I also have another calf who's been in the house for 2 days (he's in the barn tonight) as he just was cold and it took him a while to get going.  We think he probably never nursed.  He still won't suck on a bottle and I've been having to tube-feed him all of his milk.  He's one stubborn baby! 

SO, today was an exhausting day and I am glad it's over.  There were also 3 other calves born today and they are all doing well, so that's a blessing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.