Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fixing things----and purple sauerkraut!

My mom had an accident with her tablet a couple of weeks ago with the result being a cracked screen.  Andrew ordered a new screen and, being the mechanically minded man that he is, he fixed it himself too.  Mom sure is glad!  He even talked her into getting a case for it so future accidents are less-likely to happen.
 
 Andrew also installed our new water-pre-filtering system.  Here he's drilling a hole for the small faucet...


 

My mom thought this cabbage was quite interesting looking!
 My brothers helped me for about an hour this afternoon.  I washed and "Cored" the cabbages from our garden and they sliced them...

 We ended up with about twice as much cabbage as you see in this huge kettle...
 That all equaled 17 quarts of well-stuffed jars of sauerkraut.  :)  I left out a few heads of cabbage for frying with onions and for making cole-slaw too.
When I was downstairs this morning, I noticed that our boxes of green tomatoes were turning to red (and some were ready), so I made another batch of tomato soup to can.

My brothers brought up the ladder from downstairs and went up in the attic to get our winter-clothes down.   :(  I guess summer is really over.

The man who'd bought our MF combines came today to pick up 2 more of the headers he also bought.  He still has at least one more load to come and get.

I'll leave you with a quote tonight, as I used to do...

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the journey." --unknown, but somebody said it!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. We made sauerkraut today too! It's something I have always wanted to do and my mother-in-law gave us four gigantic heads of cabbage so after Hosanna cut it all up, I made two gallon jars of kraut, which we love, and blanched and froze the rest because I love it in a lot of things. Hopefully it will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sauerkraut looks beautiful. There is such a satisfying feeling making these things, looking at them, and knowing that you are feeding your family healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat, K family about our making sauerkraut on the same day! :)
    Yes, Kimberly, I agree that it is so wonderful seeing your pantry fill up with goods from the garden! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.