Friday, October 4, 2013

SNOW!

It's been a blustery day and I'm so glad that we picked our garden produce yesterday!  Yes, we even had snowflakes falling through the sky.  Nothing stayed, but the storm is not over yet either.  The wind is howling and raindrops are hitting my window.  We may not be going to the wedding tomorrow after all (it would be a 5 hour drive)...
 
My room was so cold today that I washed my windows, then covered them with plastic for the winter.  It's a bit warmer now.
 
Mom, Jacob and I oiled all of the squash (it helps them to keep longer as mold doesn't grow well on oil), then hauled them to the basement.  Mom also cleaned all of the cayenne peppers we grew and I turned most of them into Cayenne Tincture.  We made turkey enchiladas for our noon meal and a meatloaf (with our new hamburger!) and hubbard squash dish for supper.  Delicious!
 
My brothers put things into the Quonset that they didn't want to freeze (the sprayer/pressure washer....).  I went out and picked a few more bouquets before the flowers are all gone for the year.  It was also time to bring all of my dwarf fruit trees back in the house from the deck.  One of my lemons is starting to turn yellow now, so that's fun!
 
Here are a few pictures that I took of the header Dad bought yesterday...  
 


 The local John Deere dealership is redoing their lot, so it was a big mess yesterday... 
 Here are the squash we picked...
 ...and some more squash!  It's a good thing that some of us like squash a lot and that the others tolerate it.  ;)
 The last Dahlias of the season...  
Isn't the lawn a lovely shade of green right now?  The recent rains have done wonders for the grass.
 Farewell, summer flowers.  I will miss you!
Now I have to remember the good things about cold weather...  Things like-----the flies die! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.