Sunday, February 3, 2013

A surprise in the barn...

This morning, I milked Sally for Andrew, as he was heading up to Harvey early to get a 4-wheeler.  As long as I was outside, I decided to do the rest of the small animal chores and was I ever surprised when I went in the goat barn and found a new kid!  We knew the bucks had been with the does about 5 months ago, but weren't sure if they were bred, as our 2 does haven't really bagged up very much.  I held the mama and fought with the kid for a while to get it to nurse.  When the others got up, I asked them to keep an eye on the kid and when I got home from work this afternoon, the kid was in the house in a laundry basket.  He isn't doing the best right now.  My mom's been tube-feeding him, so hopefully he gets going here soon.  He was trying to stand at supper time.  I guess we'll have to keep an eye on my doe, Opal!

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Miss Cora!

    I hadn't stopped by for a visit in a long while...I really like your new blog title and design! Sounds as though you are all quite busy in North Dakota this winter...as are we. What a wonderful surprise for you all in the barn this morning! New babies are so adorable!

    Sweet blessings,
    Mrs. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for leaving me a comment, Mrs. Laura. :) Yes, we're keeping busy, even in this less-busy season of cold. It was a surprise to see the babies, but sadly, none of them survived. It was just too cold out there until we found them..... Sad!

    Stay warm in the coming storm!
    God bless you~

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.