Thursday, February 28, 2013

Greek yogurt...

  I love yogurt, but I've especially fallen in love with GREEK YOGURT in the last few months.  I had it first over at my 2nd family's house (where I work) and it is pure yumminess!   I did some research on-line recently to learn how to make greek yogurt at home and found that it is really quite simple.  All that you do is add one more step to the process, straining the yogurt for a couple of hours once it's set up.  Here is some of what I read:



"Greek yogurt is strained extensively to remove much of the liquid whey, lactose, and sugar, giving it its thick consistency. In roughly the same amount of calories as regular yogurt, it can pack up to double the protein, while cutting sugar content by half.

Protein. Greek yogurt is high in protein, which helps promote fullness. A typical 6-ounce serving contains 15 to 20 grams, the amount in 2 to 3 ounces of lean meat. That makes it particularly appealing to vegetarians, who sometimes struggle to get enough of the nutrient. An identical serving of regular yogurt, on the other hand, provides just 9 grams, meaning you may feel hunger pangs sooner.
Carbohydrates. Going Greek is a smart choice for low-carb dieters. It contains roughly half the carbs as the regular kind—5 to 8 grams per serving compared with 13 to 17. Plus, the straining process removes some of the milk sugar, lactose, making Greek yogurt less likely to upset the lactose-intolerant. Remember, however, that "both types of yogurt can contain high amounts of carbs if they're sweetened with sugar or another sweetening agent," says Kari Hartel, a Missouri-based registered dietitian. "No matter which type you choose, opt for yogurt with less added sugar."  "

I made a gallons worth of yogurt today (in the crock pot--which works well!), and I'm going to go get it straining now....

Oh, one of the highlights of today was taking the pieces of my quilt over to our neighbor, Tamera, to have her do the machine-quilting.   She guessed it will take 2 weeks to finish, as it's so large!  Then, all that will be left for me to do is put the binding on.  That will take a while, as it needs to be slip-stitched all the way around (by hand).  :)



2 comments:

  1. I LOVED hearing you refer to my family as your second family! That is one of the best compliments I have received, Thank you.
    Imcan not wait to hear about your Greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore greek yogurt. It's one of my favorite treats! And yes, so good for you too!!

    ReplyDelete

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.