Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Some days it's harder...

...harder to count your blessings.  :(  Why is that, that it's easier to thank and praise God in the "good times" than it is when things don't go as we think they should? 

OK, so it wasn't THAT bad of a day.  I did have 2 sick calves that Jacob and I had to feed electrolytes to.  The one is weak in its back legs, so I'm not sure what that's about?  He doesn't look malnourished and his ears were up.  Hmmm

Then, this afternoon, when I went to check the chicks in the barn, I opened the door and saw one of our big orange tom cats sitting right in the middle of the chicks.  I yelled to Jacob, telling him to bring his rifle right away.  He came and shot the cat for me.  I counted the chicks then and found 21 or 22 are missing.  ;(   I tried to figure out how the cat got in the pen.  I spent about 2 hours redoing some of the fencing and adding to it.  It had better be cat-proof now, as I'm not sure what more I could do?  Shoot all of the cats? 

Then too, there are 3 chickens that love to go in the garden in the spot that I tilled and they dig around and dig out my flower bulbs.  Arggggg

Let's see, the good parts of the day were: 

  • The kitchen is back in order again
  • The kitchen windows/patio door are nice and sparkling clean and the screens are on the windows now
  • Most of the flower bulbs are planted now
  • My brothers got the windmill started up in the pasture
  • All the rest of the 150+ calves are all doing well
  • I went out to check on the chicks when I did so there weren't more missing
  • We ate rhubarb pie!  :)
My dad just got home from seeding.  He's been having planter problems, so he still has a couple of days left before all of the corn is planted.  The boys have been working on getting the sprayer ready to go.  I think I've mentioned that our farm has gone through a major change this year---as it is no longer certified Organic?    It's sad/hard (we know organic is the best for people), but perhaps is necessary to make land payments.    We're still going to do some natural things too (putting down tons of sugar down to feed the microbes in the soil/applying Basic H to make water more accessible to the plants).   Our hay/cattle will still be all natural.  I'm glad I'm not my dad, being in charge of all these plans/decisions.....    I think most people these days really have no idea how much work and stress farmers really go through and what heroes (most of them anyway) they truly are! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.