Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Young helpers...

I babysat for the other neighbor children today (Amelia, Michael and James).  We spent about 5 hours at my house, looking at animals and collecting eggs (they rode with me in the pickup to check cows); taking Jacob down to a different neighbor's place to get our truck back home; playing on the trampoline and with outdoor toys; and James helped me some with the greenhouse doors, meaning he held onto the cordless drill and pulled the trigger when I was ready while I stabilized it and pushed on the back of the drill.  When I first cut the hole in the plastic for the doorway, a major heatwave came out of the greenhouse!  The children said it was a giant oven.  After their dad got home from work, I got home just in time for supper, then Mom, Jacob and I did chores. 

My dad and Jacob got the final parts they needed for the corn planter today and Dad plans to "hit the dirt" in the morning!  He spent some time replacing the primer bulb on the small tiller for us this afternoon, but then the tiller wouldn't run, so he fiddled around with that for a while this evening.  He's not sure what's wrong with it, so he got the medium sized tiller started for me and I started working up the soil in the greenhouse.  Several more plants that I ordered came in the mail today, so tomorrow will be a big planting day, Lord willing, of course.

I finished up the east doors (covering them in plastic again and trimming it down to size, then putting the hinges, hooks, and handles back on) and Jacob helped me screw them on the greenhouse.

We ate some sourdough bread super delicious baked sandwiches that Mom made us for supper and so, since they were good (I wasn't too fond of the bread by itself---must be an acquired taste?), I fed the sourdough culture again tonight and started a new loaf rising.  I am not going to let it set for quite so long this time, as it had raised well by morning last time, but I wanted to let it go and see how much larger it would get and then I was gone for about 9 hours babysitting.  By the time I returned, it had fallen considerably, so this time I want to bake it in the morning and see how much softer the bread ends up being.    Do any of you have experience with making sourdough bread?  Have any of you tasted it before----and liked it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greetings~
It makes my day when I hear from you, so, please leave a note! Do you have any suggestions/tips/advice/questions on what I've written? Please let me know.
May God bless you richly as you walk in the paths He has for you today,
~Cora B.